Barbara's Tax Service
Call Me at (940) 964-2693 or (940) 393-3590

New Customers
About Us
My Privacy Policy
Organizing Your Records
Tax Info Needed
Contact Us
Business Information
Links and Forms


Information Needed to Prepare Your Tax Return

New Customers:

  • Photo identification for primary taxpayer and spouse (if any)
  • Copies of Social Security Cards for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents
  • Copy of prior year tax return if possible

All Customers:

Tax Information Needed, All Customers:

Healthcare information, including form 1095.  If you did not receive one click here.

All income information:

  • Forms W-2 received from employers
  • Forms 1099-R received for pension, IRA, and other retirement income
  • Forms 1099-MISC received for work or services performed, rents, royalties, etc.
  • Forms 1099-INT received for interest income
  • Forms 1099-DIV received for dividend income
  • Forms 1099-B received for stock and other asset sale income
  • Social security statement of income
  • For business or rental income, see below
  • An itemized list of any and all other income you and your spouse received

Business income and expenses:

  • All 1099’s (including 1099-MISC and 1099-K)
  • Other income not included on any form 1099
  • A list of expenses for the running of your business
  • Business mileage for your vehicle, PLUS total miles driven (including personal and commuting)
  • Office in home information, if applicable (see Business Info page or call)

Rental Properties:

  • Type of property and physical address
  • Income from rent
  • A list of rental expenses (include any 1098)
  • A list of capital improvements made this year (such as furniture, appliances, etc)


  • Full name, as shown on social security card (include a copy of SS card if possible)
  • Social security number
  • Date of birth
  • Relationship to you (child, parent, etc)
  • If this person attends daycare or college, please indicate


  • Name and address of provider
  • Social security number or employer ID number of provider
  • Total paid to provider, broken down by child

Adjustments to Income:

  • Student loan interest
  • Traditional IRA contributions
  • Educator out of pocket expenses
  • Moving expenses

College costs (broken down by student, if multiple students):

  • Tuition (include form 1098-T)
  • Books
  • Supplies (computer, printer, etc)

List of itemized deductions:

  • Medical (totals for):
  • Mileage (round trip) for doctor, dental, hospital, etc visits, purchase of prescriptions, medical equipment, etc.
  • Doctors, dentists, chiropractors, etc.
  • Prescription drugs
  • Eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentures, etc.
  • Medical equipment such as wheelchairs, canes, walkers, etc.
  • Hospital stays
  • Nursing home stays
  • Reimbursements from insurance companies
  • Any other medically necessary expenses (please explain
  • Taxes paid:
  • Real estate (on your home or land (please list farm, business or rental separately)
  • Personal property taxes (on cars, etc)
  • Sales taxes on large purchases (car, boat, motorhome, major home improvements)
  • Interest paid:
  • Mortgage Interest paid to banks, etc. (include form 1098 if possible)
  • Mortgage interest paid to individuals (include name, address and social security number of recipient)
  • Investment interest paid on stocks and other investments
  • Interest paid on a qualified second home (actual real estate or an RV, etc)
  • Contributions:
  • Cash/check contributions listed by charity
  • Non-cash contributions to charities such as Goodwill or Salvation Army (if you are claiming more than $500 you must itemize them, call for more information)
  • Mileage driven to perform charitable acts (such as Habitat for Humanity, church fundraisers, etc)
  • Mileage driven to deliver non-cash contributions
  • Miscellaneous deductions:
  • Tax preparation fees (unless I prepared your prior year return)
  • Safe deposit box fees
  • Employee business expenses (call for more information)
  • IRA custodial fees
  • Union dues, professional fees, professional books & publications
  • If you bought, sold or refinanced a home during 2012, include the settlement statements
  • If you suffered a casualty loss, please call for more information.  NOTE:  Most casualty losses do not qualify for a deduction.
  • Any other documents you think might pertain to your return, items you think might be deductible or questions you may have regarding your return.

Barbara's Tax Service BBB Business Review